Top 4 places to study Arts Therapy in Australia
Where are the best places to study Arts Therapy in Australia, and what do you need to do to become a registered arts therapist?
Arts therapy or creative arts therapy is an experiential psychotherapeutic approach utilising arts modalities within a relationship with a trained therapist, attending to emotional, cognitive, physical and spiritual well-being.
Become a registered practicing arts therapist
ANZACATA is the peak professional body representing creative arts therapists in Australia, New Zealand and the Asia/Pacific region.
In order to practice in Australia, a masters degree in Arts Therapy is required and Arts Therapists must be registered with the Australian, New Zealand and Asian Creative Arts Therapies Association (ANZACATA). Pathways to registration typically require a combined 6 years of education and training.
Steps to becoming an Arts Therapist:
- Complete a bachelor degree in art, counselling, psychology, nursing, social science or a related field at university.
- Complete a postgraduate qualification in arts therapy. The postgraduate course must be recognised by ANZACATA.
- Complete 750 hours of supervised field experience on a clinical placement.
- Register with ANZACATA
- Able to register for NDIS
Where to Study Arts Therapy
There are a range of Graduate Schools and Programs in Australia, that offer different approaches to arts therapy. I studied at MIECAT (Melbourne Institute of Experiential and Creative Arts Therapy) in Melbourne, and chose to study here as they offered an experiential learning environment which encompasses the essence of arts therapy or psychotherapy. Also the course was offered in week intensives, allowing for working people or people from inter-state to attend and complete the course in a more life-friendly way.
The Arts Therapy Masters degree is a non commonwealth funded degree, therefore fees are higher than the subsidised general courses like teaching etc. However, HECS is still available for Australian students.
There is also a degree at the University of Queensland as a part of the Masters in Mental Health, however you need to have studied in a health related degree as a prerequisite for entry to this degree.
Arts Therapy Courses Australia
Delivery: Intensive week / unit, or attendance weekly throughout term
- Graduate Certificate in Experiential & Creative Arts Therapy
- Graduate Diploma in Experiential & Creative Arts Therapy
- Master of Arts (by Research) and a Master of Arts (by Supervision)
- Professional Doctorate in Experiential & Creative Arts Therapy
- Graduate Diploma in Art Therapy
- Master of Art Therapy
New South Wales
Address: Locked Bag 1797, Penrith South DC, NSW 1797
Phone: +61 2 9852 5222
Email for Australian students: [email protected]
Email for International students: [email protected]
Request an information packet: Course Enquiry Form
Web: Link to postgraduate art therapy section
- Master of Art Therapy
Education Dr, Greenfields WA 6210, Australia
+61 8 9360 6000
- Graduate Diploma in Creative Arts Therapy
This is not a Masters program, however the course is accredited to be registered with ANZACATA at a 3 tier registration, where you can work towards professional registration or continue further study.